Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Rockin Mommas

Last night for Crotch Rocket's birthday (aka Grace) we went to The Birchmere, a surprisingly cool music venue in Arlington to hear Colin Hay. Yes, the former lead singer of Men at Work. He was remarkably funny, and provided the most banter I've been privy to in a long time--and I love me some good banter.

Opening for Colin was an emotive guitar-playing chick named Skylar (I think). At first I felt like it was 1997, and I was hold up in my freshman dorm room crying about unrequited love. It's an emotion I can remember, but honestly its not the place I'm at any more. I've traded in angst rock (think WHFS) for the electronic new-American-post-modern crap that I listen to know (think Paste Magazine). As for crying, I only do that to mainstream pop culture, like Grey's Anatomy and PSA commercials. I'm a yuppie tool, I know.

Eventually I was distracted from Skylar by how her backup singer bore a striking resemblance to Sissy Spacek. I thought this was humorous, albeit a bit strange. Well, the more we thought about it, the more we realized it WAS Sissy Spacek! It was confirmed when Skylar ("just Skylar") introduced her only as "mom," then eventually "oh, it's Sissy or something." Yes, the 56 year-old stellar actress had come to suburban NoVa to backup for her daughter's opening act. Pretty damn cool.

And I was suddenly back in 2006, where I'm obsessed with pop culture and actors and Hollywood. Right were I like to be.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?